Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Steampunk Paris Metro Station


This retro-futurist view is the walkway two stories down and directly above the Metro at the Cité station in Paris. Virtually every surface of the station is covered in these riveted panels (more things need riveted panels). The atmosphere is very Jules Verne. I'm not saying that its the Nautilus, but with the very high ceilings it is an amazing space. It is a single open area shaped like a barrel on end (you can see the curvature of the walls). From the stairs you can see the trains under your feet and the stairs continue another story or two above you.

Now onto another point, you might notice how clean it is. I live in NYC and stations aren't this clean when they are new. And they seem to lack that special smell the NYC subway tunnels create which falls somewhere between open sewer and a zoo's reptile house in summer. I could go on. Hey, I love NYC. But it doesn't mean I wish I could change a thing or two. I don't know how they do it, but the French Metro system is fantastic on every level.

No comments:

Post a Comment