Thursday, August 6, 2009

American Genius: 19th Century Bank Locks and Time Locks


A beautiful book collecting over 400 photographs of locks from the Mossman Collection, which is housed at The General Society of Mechanics and Tradesmen in NYC. (Who knew?) The book also includes detailed shots of their inner workings. The locks, in a word, are amazing. Each one unique at the time and an improvement upon the previous one as inventors continually outdid on another. Many of these locks are the last of their kind due to locks and safes being melted down for raw materials during WW1. Handcrafted and many include intricate engraving and casting that would put personal watches to shame. This engraving is often continued into the interior even though it would rarely be seen. Admittedly a bit pricey, but I found a copy at the Strand at a nice discount.

Which brings me to the sad fact that the idea of craft (craftmanship) is, for the most part, lost in the modern age. This book is filled with locks that are completely functional but are works of art. This level of care and attention is rare today. Nice things are still made, but they are the exception and typically insanely expensive. I know big words from someone who draws on napkins, but I hope that, in my own way, I show a level of care, attention to detail and craft in my drawings.

No comments:

Post a Comment