Friday, August 21, 2009

Pen & Parchment: Illuminated Manuscripts at the Metropolitan Museum of Art

An excellent exhibit of illuminated texts and parchments displayed in the side galleries on the second floor of the Met. Which is nice because the galleries are softly lit and sparsely occupied due tho the fact that most people cruise by to other galleries. My two favorite works by far are the Diagram with Crucifixion and Diagram with Zodiac Symbols (shown above). Drawings like this one were meant to be studied and meditated upon in order to fully understand the meaning. (It includes twenty reference contents!) The detail and the complexity are awe-inspiring. Drawing such as these with the attention to detail are definitely inspiring to my own work. I love the fact that I know something important is being communicated here, but I have absolutely no idea what it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment