Friday, July 31, 2009

Why Napkins? No Really Why?

The use of my drawing material usually brings one of a couple reactions. Sometimes people are amazed at the detail that can be achieved on such a fragile surface. Sometimes they wonder why I don't use better materials. And sometimes they wonder how in the world I think I can charge money for a doodle on a napkin.

One of the original intentions of using napkins was the idea that all great ideas are born on napkins. Inventions, math solutions, business models have all had their birth on a napkin...often fueled by the alcohol or coffee served along with the napkin. Another reason for using napkins is that I really enjoy the idea that I am repurposing a completely ordinary/disposable material. And the last reason, I will admit, is that I enjoy drawing in bars and this project gives me an excuse to go to different and tony bars that I might normally not go to.

As for charging money for these, one only needs to go to a current art show to see that this is definately not beyond the pale.

No comments:

Post a Comment